Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - front strut removal - detatch ARB?

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
SkyRocketeer
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Got a wheel bearing to swap, and figured I might as well pull both struts and do the shocks a s well. I've not had a lot of luck attempting the job with the struts in situ. Haynes suggests I have to remove the arb, but looking at it I reckon I can leave it in place and just swivel both control arms down at the same time as both struts are coming out.
anyone tried this? Is it just wishful thinking?

recurveandy
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's a pain but do-able
You'll need plenty of leverage to get them on and off, luckily for me the garage next door has a 5 foot lever bar for such jobs but a good pry bar should do it
I used a jack and ratchet strap to help pull everything back together on re-assembly

I've never done it with removing the ARB, just because access to the mounting bolts is non existent on the right side (2.8 at least)

AOC#1295
1989 NG Q Pick-up (Daily)
1999 AGZ Bora (For the Doris)
1997 ACK A6 Avant Q (Under the knife)
1984 JS Coupe GT (restoring)
1983 MK1 Golf GTI Pirelli (In storage) 
SkyRocketeer
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Couldn't get enough leverage in the end. ARB came off, RHS mountings are hard but not impossible to access due to the engine mount being right above it. A cranked 19mm ring spanner will hold the top of the front bolt, the rear with a shallowish 19mm socket on a universal joint.
With the ARB off I could swivel the bearing housing out of the way, remove drive shaft and knock the control arm ball joint spigot from the housing with a hammer and a drift.

Getting it back on will be fun enough I'm sure.

Babblu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So with more power and bigger brakes and a banked oval test track this was going to be a good day. However the weather decided it was going to rain for the first time in 3 weeks! Leyland is a test centre used by many vehicle manufacturers to run their cars to the limit with hills, bends and a mile of banked oval. Have I mentioned the banked oval…well it is banks so much so that you can’t stand up at the top of it and cars doing 100mph do not have to steer around the oval.

View next topic
View previous topic